Skip to content

Farmhouse History

Built in 1725, our farmhouse has acquired almost three hundred years of American history. In the 1600’s William Williams was granted land in return for fighting in The King Philip Wars against The Great War Sachem, Metacomet, or King Philip. William Williams’ son; also named William Williams, built the farmhouse that exists today. Many of the Williams men were patriots and had successful military careers throughout the Revolutionary War and The War of 1812. The Williams’ lived for many generations in the home. There is a family grave plot tucked away near the farmhouse.

The home is alleged to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. There is a sealed crawl space which stories say provided a hiding space for runaway slaves traveling North to Canada.

In 1836 when The Town of Ledyard was incorporated, the property became known as The Town Farm, where the homeless or those legally mandated to serve the community would work, and in exchange receive food and a place to sleep. This idea of a community farm, is essential to our philosophy and goal. The Town Farm lasted into the 20th century and was operated by Judge Williams, a descendant of William Williams. 

In the 1950’s writer Morton Thompson (Not As A Stranger, The Cry and The Covenant) and his second wife, Frances Thompson, moved from Los Angeles to the farmhouse in Ledyard. Morton enjoyed most of his life at the farm in an old milking house, where he would go to write. Tragically, Morton Thompson passed away from a heart attack in the farmhouse. Two weeks later, his wife Frances hopelessly took her own life.

But the ominous stories of Town Farm would soon change with the arrival of the next caregivers of the farmhouse. The Brown family bought the Town Farm after the Thompsons. Dorothy, a local school teacher, and Bob Brown a locally respected active member of the Town of Ledyard, and a farmer, bought the house after the tragedy of the Thompsons, with the intention of reviving the spirit of the house to create a happy home for a young family.

In 1998 The Levine Family bought the farmhouse and the remaining land. In 2009, Amanda Levine and Dylan Williams began to revive the old Town Farm. They met working on a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm in New York, and revived Town Farm in 2009 with a CSA of their own. They have a wonderful and supportive group of community members and customers that they have been fortunate enough to know over the years.

A CSA is an operation where farmers offer shares of their crop for a fee paid prior to the growing season. We offer a limited amount of shares this season as we are focusing on other areas of the market. A member of the CSA picks up their share of fresh organic produce on a scheduled weekly basis. Additionally, for those who might want to split a share with a friend or family member, or only buy half a share, those members would be picking up their produce every other week. Each season we grow around forty varieties of organic seasonal vegetables. We also grow herbs and flowers!

Each year has brought new changes, new growth and new challenges on the farm and we look forward to growing with you this season!

Kindest wishes, Amanda & Dylan

American Gothic

Advertisements
One Comment

Trackbacks

  1. Down On The Farm « bebehblog

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: